Friday, February 17, 2012

28 weeks

Sleep. I miss you.
This belly is getting much heavier and sleeping is getting much harder. It takes a lot of effort to turn over and to get out of bed. If Taylor is awake he'll usually give me a little push. Teamwork. My little man is liking the right side of my belly, he is always curled up there. I'm not sure what is wrong with my left side. He makes me look like I have a lopsided belly. Thanks.
So besides rarely getting a few hours of sleep at a time, this week hasn't been too bad.  A lot of work on a class fundraiser and a good house cleaning. My new year's resolution was to never go to bed with a messy kitchen/living room and to cook an amazing dinner at least four days a week. (Left overs for the rest) So far I've been good. But it's only February.
Now that I'm in my third trimester I should probably buckle down and finish up on the nursery. I really only have a few sewing projects to finish and some wall art to decide on. My wonderful friends are throwing me a baby shower next month and I am so excited. My parents, sister, and mother in law are able to come and that makes it even better.
My doc told me to start thinking of a birthing plan. Yikes. That makes this feel very real.  Some friends of mine are either very close to being due or have already given birth to their precious babies, and I'm a little jealous. I know everyone says the last two months go by the fastest but man, I want to meet you! I have your name picked out, your blanket and necessities all made, and your clothes hanging in the closet.  I can be patient though. For you.

Lately I have found myself in better spirits because of a new Bible study and new friends. I'm incredibly grateful that Oklahoma hasn't turned out to be so bad. Shocked, too. :) Since Taylor's and my Valentine's day consisted of me working all day and him flying until 9pm, we decided to do it right this weekend. We'll head into the city for some shopping and maybe some German food. My favorite.

This week my favorite recipe is probably a healthy broccoli fettucini alfredo. Unbelievable I know. Usually alfredo is full of cream and heavy calories but this recipe is made from a little bit of garlic, light butter, flour, and parmesan. It's super quick to make so it's nice when I don't really feel like cooking.

Broccoli Fettucini Alfredo

(http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2012/02/broccoli-fettuccine-alfredo-548-recipe.html)

(This recipe makes about 8 servings. So it's a good idea to half it, unless you're feeding a ton of people.)


INGREDIENTS COST
16 oz. dry fettuccine $1.63
16 oz. frozen broccoli florets $1.29
1 clove garlic $0.08
4 Tbsp butter $0.45
4 Tbsp all-purpose flour $0.06
3 cups milk $0.94
1 cup grated parmesan $0.96
1/8 tsp nutmeg $0.02
to taste salt & pepper $0.05
TOTAL
$5.48

STEP 1: Begin to boil a large pot of water to cook the pasta. When it reaches a full boil, add the pasta and cook for 7-10 minutes or until al dente. When the pasta is finished cooking, reserve 1/2 cup of the starchy pasta water and then drain the pasta in a colander.

STEP 2: While the pasta is cooking, thaw the broccoli in the microwave and begin to make the parmesan sauce. Mince the garlic and cook it over medium heat in a medium sauce pot with the butter until the garlic has softened slightly (3-5 minutes). Add the flour, stir and cook for 2-3 minutes more. This is the "roux" that will thicken the sauce.

STEP 3: Whisk in the milk. Increase the heat to medium-high. Whisk the milk mixture until it comes up to a light simmer. As soon as it reaches a simmer it will thicken and should be able to coat a wooden spoon (see photos below). Turn the heat off and whisk in the parmesan cheese. Add freshly cracked black pepper, nutmeg, and salt to taste. Make the sauce slightly saltier than you'd prefer if you were eating the sauce alone. Once it's spread out over the pasta and broccoli it will taste more mild.

STEP 4: Return the cooked pasta to the large pot that it was boiled in (with the burner turned off). Add the reserved pasta cooking water and toss the pasta to loosen it up. Add the thawed broccoli and then pour the parmesan sauce over top. Stir to coat everything in the sauce and then serve!

-B

No comments:

Post a Comment